Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Facepalm? Seriously?


The following is a letter of resignation by Steve Mason, writer for the Oxford English Dictionary.

It is with a heavy heart but a relieved conscious that I announce my resignation from Oxford English Dictionary, effective immediately.

35 years ago, I was a young, bright mind. Fresh out of earning my English degree, I walked in those double doors with a wealth of optimism. I was ready to stop talking about the English language and start contributing to it. It was an exciting time to be a part of the dictionary process. When I got started, I was entering in new words like “socioeconomic” and “desegregation.” I felt proud to contribute to the art of language.

English used to be so eloquent, but I’m afraid that is no more. Yesterday, I had to enter the word “facepalm” into the dictionary. I got so frustrated that I literally facepalmed right after. How idiotic this publication has become. I’m sorry, but does a word like that need to be in the dictionary, the definitive guide to the English language? What is the point? It’s a passing, slang expression. Nobody’s going to look back on this period in history and say, “Wow, that Facebook comment writer was so eloquent, using words like ‘facepalm.’” Jesus Christ. “Tweetable”? “Friend Zone”? The English language is going down the drain, I’m afraid.

Ouch. See what I just did? I hit my face. With my hand. And now there’s a word for that in the Oxford English Dictionary. It’s appalling, to be totally frank.

                                                                                                                                 -By Mike Vandenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment