Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I’m Converting to Judaism

A transcript of President Obama’s speech in Jerusalem Thursday is reprinted here.

Thank you, please be seated. Hello, everyone. Or as they say here, shalom! Let me first thank this wonderful university for letting me come here today. This message is not only for you, but for all of Israel, with whom the U.S. has a strong, unbreakable alliance, now and into the future. I stand here today to announce that I, Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States of America, am converting to Judaism.

Recently, the bond between our two nations has been called into question. You see, many Republican leaders in America, in Congress and on Fox News, have doubted my words of support for this country are legitimate. All I've done is given you a friendly suggestion to stop building settlements in Palestine if you want any hope of a lasting peace. You've heard me suggest putting yourself in their shoes so you can see that all they want is their own land. Because a true friend doesn't tell you what you want to hear, but what you need to hear.

Yet somehow, by actually giving you reasonable, practical suggestions, my critics back home accuse me of renouncing our alliance. To be honest, this baffles me. We've practically sold Israel its entire stock of fighter jets for God sakes. Next time you fire a missile into Gaza, do me a favor and check the sticker on the bottom. It probably says, “Made in America”. Shouldn't a parent be allowed to tell his spoiled child to shut up and follow simple directions once in awhile  And yet I still do almost everything in my power as president to back Israel.

That is why I'm converting to Judaism. It’s the last thing I can possibly think of to affirm this alliance. I've thought long and hard about this, but I always reach that same conclusion. I mean honestly, help me out here. What else can I do? I've risked my life to come to this crazy place, knowing that nothing other than a photo-op will get accomplished by my visit. And yet I still hear complaints.

Yep, this is the only option. I'm not talking Reformed, either. I’m going all-in, full-fledged Orthodox Jewish. It'll be hard to question my faith if I have a yarmulke on my head all the time. Also, what better way to show that I stand with Israel than to celebrate Hanukkah instead of Christmas and Passover instead of Easter. Nothing’s wrong with showing too much support for the Jewish state. Or, as I now call it, my homeland.

Well, I better get going. I need to fly home before Shabbat; my new faith prevents me from using electricity on Saturdays. As America’s first Jewish president, I need to make sure I set a good example for America by attending Rabbi Goldstein’s Passover Seder at The White House. Shalom, my Jewish brothers.

                                                                                                             -by Mike Vandenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment