Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Dimensional Warriors: Neko's Story Chapter 6



“So, does he do this often?” I asked Syndil, trying to break the uncomfortable silence that had embraced us.

“Huh? Oh run off. Yeah. He's been very protective of me since this ordeal started.”

“You must've been lucky to wake up so close to each other.” I said. “I know when I woke up I was nowhere near anything I recognized.” She simply sat there, watching me. I sighed. “Look, everything is going to turn out alright. Okay? Pahhur is stronger than she looks, and she's actually got a decent plan.” As I said this, I remember the orb in my pocket and pulled it out. “See, a map of the planet. It even has markings on it indicating where people are and those Armors are.” She seemed deeply interested, and I let her hold it for a while.

“This planet... It's not the same one we used to live on...” She said, turning the map slowly.

“Yeah, it looks nothing like Earth.” I had already looked extensively over the map. The terrain was for the most part gathered together and placed almost by category. Forests, Mountains, one enormous ocean. The terrain even seemed to change. I had noticed a while ago that where there had been desert one hour, a forest was taking over that area. Meanwhile a desert area further away was growing. My eyes casually fell back on the orb. “Oh. It looks like they're almost done.” I said, noticing the hole in the ranks up ahead. Syndil turned the orb to look at it.

“The numbers are going down, so fast.” I looked where she was pointing, and the red digits were spinning downward at a quick pace.

“How many were there...” I was worried, if there were that many, Raven might be hurt. “Let's go.” I said, grabbing my pack. Syndil nodded and followed close behind.

The fighting hadn't ended by the time we arrived, more of the Armors were trying to push in, even though Pahhur and Raven were mostly unscathed.

“What are you doing here Syndil!” Raven yelled upon seeing her.

“Neko! Get back!” Pahhur yelled out. However the Armors had already changed course and were heading for us. They still had a distance until they were in range, I quickly spotted an alcove and grabbed Syndil; ducking for cover in the crumbling remains of a building.

“We have to keep moving.” I said to Syndil. She nodded and we began to head for the other side, hoping to lose our pursuers. We scrambled down a dusty hall, and came rapidly to a door. A dead Exit sign laid on the ground nearby. I slammed into the door, it held for a little bit before swinging open; bringing us face to face with a single Armor. Time felt like it stopped. I heard a gunshot.

Then the Armor fell; a bullet hole through it's side. I looked to the wood's edge and saw a man standing carefully on a branch.

“Vyrse!” Syndil cried out suddenly; and broke out towards him. I didn't hesitate and followed quickly.

By the time we reached the tree Pahhur and Raven had caught up, the remaining Armors were either dead or fleeing.

“Why did you run onto a battlefield!” Raven yelled. Syndil just stood there, hanging her head. “You could have died.” The man we had seen earlier stepped in.

“Hey, calm down. She's a tough cookie.” He said, patting her head gently. “Plus weren't you training her to one day inherit your sword? She has to know what a battle feels like.”

“Not this kind of battle!” Raven said, suddenly seething. “She is all I have left. Don't you understand. This isn't time for training, this is survival.”

“And you think sheltering her is going to help her survive? What happens if you die? What then? Who will protect her?”

“Look, Vyrse. I'm happy your alive, but you don't know what we've been through. She is all I have left...” Raven stopped himself, a dark look crossing his eyes. Silence fell between the two of them for a few minutes before Vyrse turned around and slumped back against a tree.

“I'm sorry man.” He said quietly. The air was pregnant with tension.

“It's alright. I just happened so easily. All it takes is one bullet.” Vyrse patted the ground next to him.

“Why don't you sit down for a little while? You've got to be tired.” Grudgingly Raven sat; and almost immediately the two were asleep. I watched the man called Vyrse for a moment. His shaggy black hair and torn dark clothes gave him a dangerous look. At his waist were twin pistols, both shone lightly in the midday sun.

“They're not usually like this.” Syndil said suddenly. “Vyrse is a close family friend. He used to come by and hang out all the time. He'd tell me stories, and even bring me toys and stuff from his trips when I was really little. Later he helped Dad train me. He was always around, except for his sudden trips. He would be gone for weeks then show back up, usually he'd be wearing that same black jacket. Sorry. I don't know why I'm telling you all of this... It's just... first Mom... now this...” She was tearing up, and I pulled her into a hug.

“It's okay.”

“But I don't want them to be fighting like this. Things are bad enough as it is.”

“It's alright, it didn't sound like they were fighting too hard. They're just worried.”

“And tired.” Pahhur added quickly before I shushed her.

“You should probably get some sleep too. We'll stay up and keep watch.”


1 comment:

  1. Ah. I do apologize a bit for this, there is a lot of drama and angst. I tried to deal with it naturally rather than draw it out. And for anyone who questions, no Pahhur hasn't become a suddenly decent fighter. It's just an extreme advantage when your opponent's weapons are completely ineffective. Raven however, yeah he's badass.

    Well yesterday happened. It was bland and uninteresting. Until the dog puked. Only good thing about it was the dog managed to curve my own appetite so I could clean up dishes and not worry about dinner. I'm gonna go to bed and pretend tonight didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete