Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: Into the Maw Chapter 24


I tried to bandage Thorium's wounds, but most of them were far too deep; as I worked I tried to recall what Tech had told us. I remembered Pah's wounds and how Tech healed her. I muttered to myself as a realization came to me. I stood up and scoured the room. Every bit of metal I could find I placed on top of a wound, each scrap and piece I slowly laid onto Thorium's body.

Even as I worked, I could hear Solarus approaching. My mind began racing, looking for something, some way to survive. I felt Neko's mind come closer to mine, her thoughts pouring into my head. All at once I tried to reverse the flow, to pour myself into her. I sent my desperation and anxiety.

I collapsed from the effort required, all I could do was hope. I heard voices outside, the walls shook. Then I Leukos filled my vision before I passed out.

I woke up sometime later, I was being carried.

“I think he's awake.” Odin's voice was pounding in my ears. I was being shifted to my feet and my vision finally cleared up. I spotted Anatos slumped over Odin's shoulder.

“What happened to you guys?”

“Lot's of things. It looks like you two took a beating too.” Neko said. She shifted Thorium in a more comfortable position before continuing to carry him. I then looked at our surroundings, we were no longer in the sterile halls, instead we were in a hall made up of cells. I looked into one of the barred off rooms, there rested bones and blood. I tried to reach out, feel for the others. I could sense five other people on the floor, four of them were some distance away, but one was rapidly closing in on us.

“We've got someone approaching us.” I alerted everyone, and the group paused. We could hear the sound of footfalls running towards us. A few seconds later, an unearthly howling filled the air. I tried to block the sound, but it felt like my head was filled with fluid. It stopped and I blinked rapidly to clear my eyes. I saw Asuka rushing towards us.

“Guys!” She called out as soon as she recognized us. “Run!” She didn't even pause and belted right past the lot of us. A few seconds later an enormous beast glided into view. It seemed reptilian, as its black scales glistened in the low light.

“Come on!” Neko called back, already halfway down the hall. “We can't fight here!” I began chasing after her, not too soon either as the ground behind me burst into flames.

“Up ahead! I see stairs!” Odin called out. We turned, and half tripped down, the creature swooped right past us, gliding into the air of the floor below. The stair however, never reached the floor. Neko barely managed to stop us before we went over. The room was a cavern in all directions. The floor below was coated in a boiling puce liquid. The monster swiveled around, aiming at us again.

“I'm guessing we can fight better here?” I said.

“Do you have any energy left?” Neko asked me. I felt for the little bit I had left and nodded. “Good, throw a wall in front of it.” I nearly hit myself for being so dumb as I did exactly as she said. There was a dull thunk, and the creature fell into the liquid below, becoming bones in a matter of seconds.

“Well. I think we can take a rest here.” Leukos said, sitting down.


No comments:

Post a Comment