Monday, June 4, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: The Return Chapter 9

Next

“Do you get the feeling that something's off?” Jato asked once we were about a mile out of the gates.

“Not really. Why?”

“Think about it, a war started over a girl the supposed kidnapper has never seen. Then we arrive and the description happens to match Pah?”

“You think someone else is involved?”

“Not sure yet, but keep your eyes open.” We had entered a forest path and came across some red fabric on the ground.

“Looks like Pah's.” Jato just sighed.

“Yeah, I get the feeling she got tired of being a captive. Probably chased her guard off then ran, but where?” I spotted another piece of cloth on a tree just off the path.

“Over there. Wouldn't be surprised to run into the dress either.”

“Agreed.” We began plumbing through the dense jungle, coming across scraps of clothing, snapped branches, and burnt logs. It wasn't too long before we heard screaming.

“Out of the way!” Pah dashed past, now back in just the basic suit, but she was quickly followed by a giant spiked ball that seemed to be chasing her. I ran to keep pace.

“What did you do!” I yelled over to her.

“I didn't know that thing was alive! I swear!” I looked at the rolling ball of death.

“How could something like that survive? I mean how does it eat?” Almost as if answering my question the ball launched into the air, unfurling to reveal an enormous mouth at the center. I looked back at Pah. “Good luck with that.” I changed directions and got out of the way. I stepped over near Jato as we watched her continue to run from the creature.

“Why does Tech send her out with us?” Jato asked.

“I dunno. But at least she looks like she's having fun.” I said.

The two eventually wore each other out and the creature slinked off to rest somewhere. Pah just collapsed on the ground.

“You gonna put yer dress back on?” I asked, hovering over her. She glared at me and sat up.

“I was hoping we could just leave.”

“No can do. We've been promised supplies, we just have to stop this war.” Jato said.

“So you're just going to hand me over?”

“Of course not, we'll try diplomacy.” Pah and I stared at him. “I'll try diplomacy. You guys just keep quiet.”

It took a few days for us to reach the other village, but soon we were standing in front of the gate. A group of guards came out to meet us and took us to the castle.

“Oh my lovely wife! How I've missed you!” The King was all hands, and I felt that the only thing stopping her was Jato's steady glare. “I must repay you for retrieving her from those brutish Foulk. Let's see, Ah! Take them to the treasury, let them have what they will.”

“Uh, sir. I actually have a few questions I'd like answered first, if that is alright.” He gave Jato a slightly irritated look but decided to sit down.

“Very well. Take the Queen to her quarters, I will be reunited with you shortly.” He watched as Pah was led out then returned his focus onto us. “Please, ask your questions. It has been a long time since I have laid eyes on my wife and I would enjoy some time with her.”

“That's actually what I would like to ask you about.” Jato said, sitting down as well. “How... how did you meet your wife? Where?”

“Oh, some five years ago, down by the shoreline. On look was all it took as I recall.”

“Is that shoreline near?”

“Oh, heavens no. I was on sabbatical. The locals were happy to part with her for the right price.”

“Well, I'm sorry, but that is impossible. Five years ago the woman in your room was a man.” Jato said.

“Impossible.”

“We have been long friends of his, we know him quite well. I would guess that the real Queen is being held somewhere else.”

“Oh, and what evidence do you have of this?” He said, standing slowly.

“Other than the fact that we all arrived here together and have been around each other for the past five years, none.”

“The Foulkians put you up to this didn't they? They just want her for themselves!”

“I promise you, we aren't under Foulkian influence.”

“Even then... But what if...” The King began looking over his shoulder sporadically as he spoke.

“That will be enough.” A new voice came from behind, a familiar one. Metudo walked into the room, and after tapping the King's shoulder the man crumpled to the floor. “Such an easy will to break too.” I looked at Metudo, he wasn't wearing our usual uniforms, instead he seemed to be encased in black leather, new tattoos ran along his face. He grinned as he looked over the two of us.

“Metudo? What are you doing here?” I asked. “Does Tech want us back?” With a blink I was flying through the air.

“So dim.” I had a hard landing, but after a few moments my body was responding.

“Shadow.” Jato spat.

“Exactly. Now, if you would be so kind, tell me where my other half is? Or I can just send you lot back to my Master. I know he's taken a particular interest in the Fire Goddess.”

“We won't tell you anything.” Jato said, his staff drawn. Again I barely blinked and missed Metudo's movement. He was already inside Jato's guard, his face almost pressed against Jato's.

“Good.” With that Jato was sent flying into me.

Next

No comments:

Post a Comment