Saturday, April 14, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: Into the Maw Chapter 16


Before I knew what was going on a spear came flying at me from below. I shifted out of the way in time and turned to try and spot my assailant. A second later I had a searing pain in my side as the spear had turned course and taken a chunk out of my side. It turned again, and I rapidly snapped it in two with a quick blow from my nightstick. As soon as it fell from my sight I saw three or four more rising towards me, these had those odd balls tied to them.

I spun a little as I slipped through the barrage and flew down, hoping to gain cover and find my foe. I heard a howl come from my right seconds before I was tackled to the ground. We rolled twice, and I found myself trapped in his claws, held above him like a shield; then I felt the first blow as the spears caught up with me. They wrecked the nearby machinery with their explosions. My body beat with pain as he got up slowly, dragging my limp form with him.

“Those godly bodies are pretty tough.” He lifted me easily. He was gloating, but I couldn't hear him as I felt my consciousness fading.

Anatos
I never got too far. I guess the first rule about this place is he's just waiting for the right opportunity. Walls fell from the sky, I heard Moot come to a breathing halt behind me.

“I thought you weren't going to follow me.” I said turning to him. He looked up at me and shrugged. We were boxed in, together. Wonderful, stuck with a freak. Lights came on above us, I blinked rapidly even as my body began to sweat. I clawed at my hoodie, tearing it off, then my shirt and pants, I was sweating puddles at this point and only getting hotter. I turned to Moot and saw him holding his cloak close, I almost couldn't see him thanks to the shadows. My eyes began blurring, the heat was overwhelming. My mouth went dry and I fell over. Moot knelt next to me.

“Do you trust me?” I could only lie there and stare at him. “I need your help. We can break that light, but I need your water to get close enough.”

“None... Left.” I managed to mutter.

“That's why I'm going to give you my cloak, but I need to know that you're going to help.” I nodded slowly, I was having a hard time even looking at him, much less thinking; then I felt infinitely better. There was darkness all around me. I blinked and dragged my staff to my mouth, drawing some water from my own energy to refresh myself I looked back at Moot, his uncovered body was literally blistering in the light. Still he held his weapon calmly, watching me, waiting. I aimed my staff and began drenching him. He jumped to the wall, hooking his scythe and scaling at a rapid pace. I held the stream, using what energy I had to ensure I hit.

A few seconds after I had to hit him blindly in order to not look at that light, the room went dark and I heard a thud next to me. I took a few breaths, letting energy flow back into my body before sitting up. His face was almost unrecognizable, but he was breathing, slowly. I laid back down on the dusty floor, resting and waiting for him to recover.

Eventually I heard him shuffle to his feet.

“Can I have my cloak back?” I sat up and handed him the material, he sighed as he slipped it on. “We need to keep moving.” He said, slowly moving down the now opened path. I got up and re-clothed myself before hoisting him up and helping him. Not long after, we found some stairs leading downward.


No comments:

Post a Comment