Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: Into the Maw Chapter 18


Lark
With Jato now fully raging I tried to hang back and get a clear shot. The werewolf tossed Jato's staff aside, and moved to attack. He nimbly stepped away from Jato's attacks while closing distance, then in an instant he was eye level with Jato and with one kick sent Jato toppling to the ground.

I bounded over towards the staff, Jato had no chance unless he could control himself. As I reached for it a furred foot stopped me. How the wolfman managed to get there first was beyond me, but I quickly felt his claws cleave into my shoulder. He lifted me like that, letting blood ooze slowly out. Then I felt him stagger and I hit the ground.

Shakily I got up, Zephos had woken up and was attacking furiously. I drove my attention away from those two and picked up Jato's staff. His draconic form had woken up and was rampaging in the other direction thankfully. I called out to him, catching his attention before tossing the staff down.

Trusting him to take care of himself I turned on my heel and knocked back an arrow. Zephos was back on the ground now, but that just gave me several clean shots. Two of my shots hit their mark, forcing our opponent to back away, I continued my barrage and he began ducking the arrows as he moved towards me.

I kept the arrows going, slowing him whenever possible until I could feel the heat coming off his fur. In that instant Jato and a recovered Zephos both slammed into his form from opposite sides. I could hear his spine crunch; but I waited for his body to go rigid, lining my last arrow up with his forehead before releasing.

The wolfman's body collapsed to the ground, and the rest of us soon followed. I clutched my bleeding shoulder, thinking carefully over our options. I looked over to Jato and waved him over.

I need your help.” I said, as I grabbed a twig from my pouch and pressed it into the rooftop. “I'm going to grow a plant. I need you to gather it up and crush it into a paste. Then push the paste over our wounds.” I winced as my shoulder throbbed; still a sizable patch of linseed had grown; as Jato set to his task I tried to prop myself up, the pain was slowly going away on its own, but every few seconds it throbbed unbearably.

Lark...” I looked up, at Jato as he worked. “I hope I didn't hurt you guys while I was... you know.” I managed to smile.

It's alright, all you did was drive off the Solarus and get your butt kicked.”

Thanks.” He said, peeling aside the tatters of my shirt before slowly pressing the herbs into the wound. I winced at first but endured.

Alright, let's get Zephos' back. It looks like he got burned pretty badly.”


No comments:

Post a Comment