Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: Battle Beneath the Tower. Chapter 4


“Hey.”

“Waugh!” Moot appeared from the wall's face, stretching his own face so that it looked like the wall was staring at me.

“You ready to enter me?” I just stared at him, until the hail of bullets reminded me of the situation. His face opened into a giant mouth as I jumped, this was going to be far more disturbing than I had originally thought.

I landed, however, in the dirt on the other side. Behind me Moot pulled himself off the wall and began patting me on the back.

“There there, it wasn't too bad for your first time.” I tried to hit him, but my hand just passed through his face.

“Do you realize where we are!?” I yelled getting up. “Is this really the best time to be joking around like that!?” He wasn't even looking at me. “Can you be serious for just five...” I couldn't finish my sentence, he ducked under my arm suddenly; and I felt a pressure behind me.

Turning I saw Moot's scythe holding back a long black blade. The opponent felt definitely stronger than a normal Solarus. With patches of armor missing to ease mobility I concluded this must be one of the Commanders Tech had warned us about. It lifted a gloved hand, revealing a small bell. If it had a face it would be menacing as it shook the bell lightly.

The ground around it turned dark, stretching out. I tried to move away, but I was rapidly trapped inside the black ring. As soon as it passed me my vision went dark. There was no light, I tested with my hand, and even after I accidentally poked myself in the eye I couldn't see it.

I tried to calm my breathing, steadying myself I turned around and began running for the edge of the darkness; only to feel a sudden sharp pain in my side. Feeling around, my hand caught on the end of a blade; warm blood coating it. I couldn't even tell where I had been stabbed. All at once the blade vanished, more bleeding followed. I pressed my hands on the wound, feeling heat pulse from my hands. It was sealing up.

I remembered all at once my gift; focusing my eyes I tried to imagine I could see. Slowly shadows began moving. Soon I could see two figures shifting in the darkness. I held my staff tight and slowly tried to approach. Trying to distinguish the two and trying not to get hit.

As I got closer the fight got clearer; Moot and the Commander were trading blows at a rapid pace; I tried to think about what to do, what was my best option. I had all the powers in the world, what would work best?

My mind raced, the obvious choice would be to create light, but the sudden blast might do nothing to the Commander and would definitely blind Moot. I couldn't risk a distanced attack, I could barely see as things stood and I couldn't risk hitting Moot. The more I thought about it the more my other senses kicked in, the gentle patter of Moot's shoes, the disturbing clank of the Commander's steps. Occasionally a clang of metal, sometimes a light ripping sound, light cloth being torn. Finally I decided.

Focusing on my right arm I pumped as much power as I could into it, using that energy to pump the muscles up; which would prevent my arm from glowing. I gripped my staff tightly, and followed the sounds and slight movement. Suddenly I heard a loud clang right in front of me. Reaching out my left hand touched cold metal, without a second thought I struck out with my right while pulling the thing back with my left. I felt shrapnel bounce against my arm just as light began flitting into the area. The small bell landed with a light jingle. I could see Moot pick it up. He looked roughed up, his normal black robes were cut up all over the place, and he seemed to be bleeding profusely.

“T-Thanks.” He said, breathing heavily.

“Sit down for a moment. I can heal you a little.” I said, recalling my own impromptu healing earlier. He stubbornly stayed up.

“I'd love to, but we do have some company.” I looked up and saw Solarus filling up the alleyway behind us; not much later they were in front of us too. Again I started thinking, but we didn't have time now.

“Moot. Lie down. Take this, lie down, and when you see an opening; run for it.” I said holding out my staff.

“Isn't that...” He didn't finish, but he did nod. As the staff left my hands I immediately felt the changes start taking place. My last conscious thought was I hope he gets away.


No comments:

Post a Comment