Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: Battle Beneath the Tower. Chapter 5


Anatos
If you had told me just two months ago I would be sky diving out of a plane, I'd have said you were crazy. Now if you had asked if I would ever like to go sky diving I would have told you to go to hell. As such I was screaming at the top of my lungs, not that anyone could probably hear it as the wind all but muted me. I saw Lark open her chute below me and not wanting to die I followed suit.

The roughshod chute struggled a little against the wind, but held. I busied myself with catching my breath, only to realize it was freezing out here. I was somehow not surprised that my feet sank into the snow until it was up to my ankles.

Here, I figured you'd forget.” Lark said tossing a sweater over to me from her bag. I stammered out a thanks before slipping it on. I could feel my body freezing; and given I was now made of even more water than normal I had to wonder if that was a figurative feeling or a literal one.

Rather than waste precious time checking I led the charge to get out of this frozen dump.

Anatos.” Lark called after me, trying to keep up. “Are you okay?” I sighed, a pillow of white sliding away from my face.

I think I should get out of this cold. Who knows, I might actually freeze up.” She nodded, and tried to keep pace. Though she didn't have to for long. We had dropped almost next to the cliff face, I could feel the temperature difference as I reached my hand out over the cliff face. I started trying to think of how to get down when Lark just walked past me, stabbing a stick into the ground. Seconds later it turned into a thick branch, reaching out over the abyss.

Come on, we don't want to be left out.” She said, smiling back at me before climbing down the branch, another one growing below it. I slide along after her, hopping lightly from branch to branch, stopping every once in a while to pull out splinters.

By the time I was on the ground below she had her bow out, and was aiming carefully. Looking out in that direction I could see a swarm of Solarus already heading our way. Deciding to try out one of my new techniques I laid my staff on top of my shoulder blade like one would a bazooka. With a little concentration the water billowed out making a hollow shape. I took aim at the closest Solarus, feeling water pressure build up in the back of my weapon.

Guessing the range I pulled the trigger I had formed and a cannonball sized ball of water flew out of my weapon. It hit the leading Solarus with a crack, shredding the metal armor, and sending several of the other armored monsters flying. Gleefully I took aim again, enjoying my new squirt cannon.

Lark, however, fired next; aiming at the pool that I had left behind. Instantly bramble spread outwards from the pond, tangling itself around the incoming Solarus. I aimed a distance away and made another hole, this time she created a mass of vines; and over the next few minutes we effectively barricaded ourselves away from the oncoming Solarus; now having to fight through a field of tree, bramble, and water traps.

As I set up to take another shot, I felt a wave of dizziness pass over me. “Crap. I must've used too much water.” I said, lowering the fading cannon. Lark turned to me.

Alright, rest a little, here.” She pulled out a canteen. “I brought this.” I drank thirstily and happily, pondering if these gifts were just her being thoughtful, or if they meant something else. As I sat and drank, I held a few fantasies about Lark, trying to find a solid answer in her. Nothing came to mind, and as the last droplet fell on my tongue I realized it was time to get back into the fray.


No comments:

Post a Comment