Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: Battle Beneath the Tower. Chapter 6



We had lost a lot of time while we were holding off the Solarus, and already I could see smoke coming from the distant city.

Lark, can you get us up?” I asked, she gave me a quick nod back and placed both hands on the ground. Before I knew what was happening I was being lifted into the air on the branches of a giant tree. Vines shot upwards, covering us from the bullets below as the branch we were on grew outwards.

Let's go, we can't let the others have all the fun!” She said as the two of us went down along the branch.

To bring us closer to the ground the branch sloped downward as we went, unfortunately the gradual slope eventually got too steep. I soon lost my footing, and slide down the remaining branch bottom first; this was in stark contrast to Lark who easily skipped over my fallen form at the bottom. Groaning a little I got up and looked around. It looked like the city was built out of warehouses; long black buildings in neat rows with wide streets as far as the eye could see. It made me shiver a little as we went down the quiet dark streets. I could hear the sounds of fighting in the distance, which put me on edge. Every block we passed I was checking down the alleys, looking for something, anything; Solarus, Beast, Commanders, an opponent.

Then I saw a glint of something, and a whip crack rang through the air. Instinctively I pushed Lark down, just as something stuck onto my backside. Immediately I was being lifted into the air backwards, scrambling I saw my staff fall into the street below; then I was above the roof line. I could see what looked like a Solarus standing on top of one of the buildings. He was missing armor in places, and was radiating more strength than the other metal creatures we had been facing so far.

I followed the whip in its hands, already guessing the other end was currently attached to my back; I tried to wedge it off, when an arrow hit it from below. I landed on one of the rooftops with a thud and grudgingly got up. Just in time to get out of the way of another whiplash. The Commander was on a roof next to mine, and as soon as the whip was back it wound up for another blow. Obviously no time to rest.

I fell back to one of my strong points, my speed. I lightly hopped back from its range; weaving my way closer to the imposing creature. All at once I was in striking distance, and taking that advantage I kicked off from the ground, propelling myself forward fist.

I collided, taking a chunk of the creature's shoulder away. However at the same time I felt the whip crack along my back; leaving a sweltering pain down my backside. Seconds later I felt the line wrap around my body, locking my other arm to my side. At the same time I felt suddenly weak and dizzy.

My brain went into over drive. Unlike the training rooms I couldn't just create a pool of water here to rehydrate myself. If I had my staff I might be able to spray myself, but I didn't. My legs suddenly gave out, I could feel the thing begin to wrap me up as I laid there watching the clouds pass overhead. Then I had an idea.

Fighting through the haze of my mind, I focused on my arm, trying to lift it, trying to gather enough strength to move. I concentrated, pulling what little water was left in me together. I aimed the shot up, and sent the burst of water straight up. My vision immediately began clouding over, as I waited. Then a drop, right on my exposed hand. Then another. Then the telltale rattle of rain enveloped me. It was pouring, I felt my body pulsing with new strength. I sat up, tearing the whip line off my other arm. It tried to continue to stick to me, but it also seemed to get caught in the air now. Slowly I wiggled my way out standing up again. The creature tugged at its whip, the line shifting and freezing every few seconds.

Finally it saw I was fully free and approaching, so it gave up, leaving the whip suspended in the air, as it drew a black blade. Great I was still unarmed. Then a thought occurred to me. I held out my hand, calling to the water around me. Slowly a transparent blade formed in my palm. I tested it, stabbing the roof. It left a neat hole in the ground. Grinning I gripped the handle with my other hand and prepared myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment