Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: Battle Beneath the Tower. Chapter 9


As we cleared the other side, rain started pouring down on the streets; soon pooling and creating currents. As the streets steadily became more hazardous Asuka stopped ahead of me; another danger having revealed itself.

A Solarus, lightly held together by some unseen force and holding a long black blade. Tech had warned us about these in one of the briefings. The blades were made from the same material as the bullets and were designed to drain and seal our energy. Asuka already had her own blade ready.

When I move, you run.” She whispered, I couldn't do anything but nod. A tense second later she bolted towards the thing and I made a break for the nearest ally.

The sound of the pounding rain flooded my ears as I ran. I turned the first corner, stopping to catch my breath and think. The water was already up to my ankles, I needed to retreat to higher ground.

As I floated to the top of the warehouses, I could see Asuka on top of another roof. She was still fighting the Commander, though her arm seemed bloodied. I approached slowly, wondering if I could help, or if I should help. As I did I noticed the Commander lean into her attacks, her blade just bounced off it, leaving her defenseless as it landed another blow onto her hand. Instinctively I hefted my cane; channeling energy into it.

Once I knew I had a solid layer over the length of my weapon, I began moving towards the fight. As I did I noticed something, every time her blade landed on the creature's body a spot on its neck flickered for a second. I sent a mental message towards Asuka, hoping she would notice the same thing.

However as I barreled forward, the Commander rapidly turned to face me; completely ignoring Asuka. Despite her striking from behind the creature, and subsequently flying backwards. I held my cane like a blade, and hoped I had learned enough to fight on par with this monster.

The initial blows were heavy handed, but I held my ground, watching for an opportunity. I guessed that the small gemstone on its neck was the source of its invulnerability, and if years of gaming had taught me anything it was hit the shiny spot. Thankfully comparative weeks of combat training had taught me enough to play defensively.

Despite that I felt the cold of his steel cut through my side, then again across my shoulders. I quickly realized I wasn't going to win in a test of ability, and watched his blade. Clenching my teeth I forced shields around my left hand and clamped down on his blade. I felt it cut deep into my hand, but my grip held; giving me the second I needed to thrust the end of my cane into the gemstone.

Oddly enough, the gemstone itself didn't budge, however the entire region around the stone burst inwards horribly; forcing the creature to stagger backwards. I pressed my advantage, tossing its sword behind me and striking again with my cane. It lifted an arm to stop me, but I just cleaved right through the metal as if it were paper. With another blow I crushed it's head, the gemstone finally popping off and skipping along the ground. Asuka finally noticed it, and rushed over; picking up the jewel.

You have to be kidding me!” She nearly yelled, holding it up.

What?” I asked, shredding the lower part of my shirt to make a bandage.

The gem of Yag'Shir.” I just looked up at her for a moment before returning to wrapping my hand. “It's one of the holy items in my order. It is able to negate all but the strongest light based attacks. I had only seen pictures, which don't depict the glow it gives off well.” She fingered it for a moment before slipping it into her shirt. I clenched my teeth before tightening the makeshift bandage and tying it.

With a little pain I stood back up, looking towards the tower as the rain continued to pour down on us.


No comments:

Post a Comment