Saturday, March 17, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: Into the Maw Chapter 3


Neko
I saw Pah get up at a distance. I wanted to go check on her, unfortunately I had other things to deal with.

“Alright, there's farmland about thirty miles south. Tech says that he left several of the cows there.” I handed the small group a few provisions, tents, tools about the same I was handing out to everyone else. While we were deciding our next step, I was organizing the survivors, using the ATLAS to find places for them to settle; granted a few of them wanted to stay in the mountain base, in fact what little militia was left was determined to use the mountain as a forward base. Since it was close to the portal, and by everyone's guess if an attack happened it would come from there.

I shook off my exhaustion as the next group moved in. Only a little over a thousand survivors, almost not enough to retain a viable population. I wanted to stay and watch over them, make sure nothing happened; but I knew if we stayed here we'd only bring danger to them. We were lucky this time, next time our opponent won't underestimate us.

“Neko. We can take the barrier down.” Leukos stopped by, I nodded to him and asked one of the people staying behind to take over.

Sure enough all of us were gathered in the large tent.

“Okay, decision time.” Metudo started out, Tech hanging in the back as Metudo paced around the front of the uneven table. “We can get through the portal, there's no assurance we can come back, and no real idea what's on the other side. What do we do?”

“I say we stay here.” Jato said, standing up immediately. “The people here need protection, and we could be walking right into a trap.”

“I agree. This is a trap.” I said. “But we have to go. Tech, can you bring up the logs that you were talking about? The God named Avarus?” He nodded and punched a few buttons on his arm before reading.

“Avarus, God of Selfishness, to date only known God with the power to steal other God's powers. As far as we know he wants the other Gods; and has been warring with our ancestors for... a very long time. Recently he's been winning, and managed to scatter the Gods. Which is where we met them. It's likely the wall of light, the stitched together planet, the Solarus are all him searching for us.”

“And he knows we're here now.” Metudo pointed out.

“Yes. He most likely knows he has found at least a few of us. I would think he is currently rallying forces to come and capture us.”

“Or hoping we go through the portal into his home.” Jato said.

“That's why we have to go. His Solarus tore the population here apart. We can't face a larger more focused force.” I said.

“Should we just gift wrap ourselves while we're at it!?” Jato said.

“I'm going.” Pah said suddenly, standing up.

“Pah...”

“He's got a few billion heads to pay for. I intend to cash that in. I don't care what he has waiting.” I was a little relieved, I hadn't seen Pahhur so active since she was outed. But she seemed determined.

“Well I'm not going to let her go on her own.” Leukos said. “She'd just get caught in the first net she found.” Jato looked over the group and sighed.

“Alright. This is going to end in tears, but I'll go.” With that decided we prepared to move in the morning.

“Neko.” I was just unrolling my sleeping bag for the night when Raven came up behind me.

“Raven. I thought you had left.” He shook his head.

“No, I heard you guys were leaving.”

“Yeah, in the morning.” He knelt down in front of me.

“Take me with you.”

“Huh?”

“Please. You may need my blade.”

“N-No, Raven. You could die. You have a daughter.”

“Truth be told it was her choice. I'm afraid she'll slip after you regardless of anything I say.”

“Raven...”

“Neko, my ancestors served yours. This blade was forged by the Gods as a gift to my grandfather, so that it may be their shield. When he was separated, he kept searching for the lost Gods, and even on his death bed he passed their stories down to me. I didn't believe him at the time, but seeing your battle... It is my birthright to protect you.” I sighed.

“I assume its a similar story for you Vyrse?” I had smelled the gunman approach while Raven was talking.

“Nah, my guns were definitely forged by the old Gods, but whoever they were for is long gone. Still I'd rather not let Raven do this alone. Plus I want to help protect Syndil.”

“Alright, gather your things and be ready to head out in the morning.”

“Thank you.” Raven said, before leaving. I had a hard time getting to sleep that night.


No comments:

Post a Comment