Sunday, March 18, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: Into the Maw Chapter 4


Syndil
I shivered a little as we began heading down to the portal's entrance. The red glow of the lava below gave the lone pillar a terrifying look. As I took my first step on the thin bridge down a fight broke out behind me.

No Marcus, we're taking Raven and Vyrse because they can fight. You need to stay here.”

I can fight. I've got a knife and everything. I'm even packed.”

I'm sorry Marcus, but we can't protect you where we're headed.” Jato turned around and headed towards where Neko and Marcus were arguing. He took Neko and Marcus aside, and after a moment I heard Neko yell. “Alright, but you better stay out of trouble.”

That had thankfully taken my mind off where my feet were taking me, and I turned to see the portal hovering in front of me; like someone had cut a circle out of the air and put a picture there. A picture of a gray desolate world. I shut my eyes, and stepped gingerly through.

Immediately I was struck by the smell. Like something was rotting, and had been for centuries. The ground was soft, sandy, there were a few loose stones lying around and the sky was the color of black puss. I shifted closer to my father as I looked around. Through the portal even the deep glow of the molten rock spiced with the scent of sulfur seemed better than this place. But as Neko passed through, the last of our small troop, the portal sealed up behind her.

Well, if there was any doubt, now we know.” Neko said before turning to look at the landscape.

I'll get a look around.” Zephos said, lifting gently into the air.

Right, everyone else be ready for anything.” Metudo said, clutching his staff tightly. I gripped my bag strings, being the only unarmed person here.

Minutes passed slowly, I had almost adapted to the smell by the time Zephos flew down.

There's a cave, about a mile that way.” He said. “There's only one guard.”

That's the trap then.” Neko said.

Or the front door.” Pah pointed out.

Well we might as well say hello to our new neighbors.” Metudo said, setting off.

As Zephos had said, there was a cave, it seemed to lurch slowly out of the ground, like a giant mouth. Standing in front of it was a rather bulky Solarus. It had crimson armor, painted in gold stripes; and a large blade strapped to its back.

Alright, there's several yards of open ground between us and him. Plans?” Metudo whispered, crouching behind a rock.

I think I can air drop someone.” Zephos said. “It doesn't seem to be paying too much attention.”

Right, well if we're going to do that, we'll drop one of our strongest. Odin.” He nodded, and the two took off, trying to avoid being seen. The rest of us slowly approached, trying to stay out of sight. To our surprise, Odin dropped down, and the guard simply stepped aside, leaving Odin stunned on the ground.

Warriors.” It spoke, the rest of us had started charging and froze in our tracks. It looked over us slowly. “I am a solider of Fate, I have no qualms with you. You may pass... except...” His glowing eyes lingered on my father. “Him. It is my fate to fight with the man wielding the God's Shield.”

Are you serious!” Metudo yelled.

We're not going to abandon him here...” Neko said rapidly, also approaching the guard. “We'll all fight you if we have to.” In a blink both Metudo and Neko were on the ground.

It would be unwise to face me. Now go, your fate lies ahead. The Shield's fate lies here.” We stood there, unwilling to leave when a force seemed to pull us into the gaping cave. Somehow I managed to resist where the others were pulled all the way into the darkness. I turned to see my dad already clashing blades with the guard.

I see how Fate will play today.” It spoke as it fought. “Master will know the prophecy is coming.” Dad swung as it seemed to lower its blade. But faster than I could see my father's sword, and his arm, came flying off towards me. He just looked shocked as the guard's blade sliced easily through his gut. I was running. I had his sword in my hand, as I ran towards my father's opponent. Red was already mixing with the gray sand, turning it black. I brought the sword down, and as I did the guard turned to me, and bowed its head.

I cut through easily, and it sat there, in two pieces; may father slowly bleeding to death next to it.

Two deaths before hell, and the end of days is approaching.” The metal husks last words sounded hollow as I pressed my hands against my father's wounds, trying to close them.

Syndil...” He whispered to me. “When did you get so strong?” I shook as his blood coated my hands. I couldn't stop it. “Syndil... I never told you this... But a long time ago... my father's father fought bravely... Protect them. For him. For me.” He fell still, as I collapsed on top of him.


No comments:

Post a Comment