Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dimensional Warriors: Into the Maw Chapter 9


Odin
Guys, let's stop for a moment.” Metudo said, his eyes never leaving Anatos.

This is the fourth time we stopped, I know yer worried but nothing good will come of waiting.” I said.

Yeah, I'm fine. I always look about this pale.” Anatos said, shaking loose some stiff muscles.

Still, we're in enemy territory, we need to stay in top shape.” Metudo said, sitting against the wall. As soon as Anatos caved and sat next to Metudo, the latter began pampering the former. I leaned against the wall, recalling everything I knew about Metudo and Anatos when I heard a loud clacking on the stone tiles.

Is that a horse?” I asked. The other two just gave me a confused look. But the sound was getting progressively louder. I moved towards the corner just as a giant barreled into me, nearly knocking me flat. Fortunately I managed to catch myself and bounced back up. In front of me stood a beast I had never seen before. It stood a good foot above me, it's lower half looked equine, while from the waist up it had the chiseled frame of a man; culminating in a muzzled face with two long bull horns curving from the top. It didn't waste much time in charging into me again, its twin massive fists cleaving into my metal plated sides.

I stopped myself from collapsing, knowing that all it needed was a second of weakness to finish me. Instead I forced my blurring eyes to lock into it's black stare. It moved forward, closing the small gap between us, this time I saw the fist coming and steadied myself against it. With an explosive sound it's large hand collided with my open palm. A second later it's second fist was cleanly trapped in my other hand. Shaking off the damage from earlier I pushed back against the beast. I soon realized the futility of this, and ducked low instead; letting its pent up force wash over my head.

The tunnel shook with the creature's fall, and I wasted no time in slamming both fists into it's exposed muzzle. It's body went rigid for a moment then became still. Finally I allowed myself to fall against the wall coughing up a little bit of excess fluid the creature had knocked loose.

Now... We can rest.” I said, my lungs starting to clear. A minute later Anatos stood up and drew his weapon. Before I could stop him he cleanly sliced off the creature's head. “What did you do that for!”

So it doesn't get back up, idiot.” I stood up.

You never kill a defenseless opponent.” I growled at him. He just stared back at me until I realized I was holding him by the scruff and set him down.

You do what you want, but I'm not going to take any chances.” Anatos said, sliding his weapon back into its sheath. I sat back down and looked away from the mutilated body and Anatos, my eyes lingering on Metudo, sitting there, and smiling.


No comments:

Post a Comment